Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fried Artichoke + Lemon Sandwich

This sandwich was the result of a perfect storm of things. I've never cooked/prepped fresh artichokes before and I've been meaning to conquer this fear. I spotted a big container of baby artichokes at the supermarket and just bit the bullet. Also, after my experiment with scotch eggs over the weekend, I am a frying machine! I am addicted to the euphoria you get when you see a delicious brown crust on the food you're cooking. While I was prepping the lemon water for the artichokes, I remembered how much I absolutely love fried lemons on a plate of fried calamari. Lastly, I bought a baguette the other day and needed to get rid of it before our trip to New York. The best things can come from trying to use up stuff in your fridge.



The result? Fried yumminess.


(makes 4 sandwiches)

1 baguette, cut into four sections
2 lbs. baby artichokes
8 thinly sliced pieces of lemon, plus extra for lemon water
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tspns. salt, plus additional for sprinkling after frying
Black pepper
2 tspns. garlic powder
Vegetable oil for frying
Asiago cheese block (or about a 1/4 - 1/3 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese. You can also use Parmesan)
Slices of salami or prosciutto
Mayonaise
Mixed spring greens (optional)


Fill a big bowl with cold water and squeeze about half a lemon into it.

Prep the baby artichokes and cut them in half. This is a great slideshow on how to prep baby artichokes: http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/slideshows/2010/06/how_to_prep_baby_artichokes#slide=1

As you slice the artichokes, place them in the lemon water bath so they don't brown.

Heat some vegetable oil to 350F (or do the chopstick thing I reference in my other recipes).

Combine the flour, salt, black pepper to taste, and garlic powder in a bowl. Pat dry the artichokes and then dredge the artichokes and thin slices of lemon in the flour. Tap the excess flour off and place carefully in the hot frying oil. Fry until crispy brown, about 2-4 minutes each batch. When the lemons and artichokes are done, sprinkle some salt on them and top with finely shredded Asiago cheese.

To layer your sandwich: Mayo. Greens (if using). Salami. Fried chokes + 2 pieces of fried lemon + cheese. Chomp.


No comments:

Post a Comment