Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Phase 2 - Fruits, Veggies + Protein

PHASE 2 COULD NOT COME SOON ENOUGH!

I was so excited to start combining flavors for Ardea and to introduce proteins to her diet. You can start introducing some spices (spices, not spiciness) to the purees, herbs like basil and mint -- so much closer to grown up food! And a little easier to prepare with the dinner you make for yourself.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Babies at this phase don't need a lot of meat or fish -- 2-3 tspns. is sufficient
- If you are going to introduce egg yolk at 7 months, offer half of it at first. I mashed it with a little bit of formula so it wouldn't be so thick (egg whites aren't safe yet because they can be allergenic)
- You can introduce very small amounts of oil and dairy if you choose -- I started using Laughing Cow cheese and occasionally adding olive oil to Ardea's purees
- No bumpy fruits yet unless they're cooked

At this point, I use a bunch of small tupperware with individual vegetables or fruits, then I mix and match them with proteins. Sometimes, if Ardea really likes a combination, I'll combine them in advance and freeze the combination.

For breakfast, I usually give Ardea a fruit puree with oatmeal and half an egg yolk if she seems really hungry. For lunch, I try to give her some combination of veggies and grains with yogurt. Dinnertime is when I feed her animal proteins or tofu.

I will keep adding to these lists as I discover more combinations! I welcome suggestions!

Fruits

I loved introducing Ardea to these phase 2 fruit combinations -- mostly because I loved the way they tasted (I snuck more than my share of bites while I fed them to her). For breakfast, I mix some baby oatmeal with the puree. For lunch and dinner, I mix them with yogurt or I let her eat them on their own. These purees are also tasty for older kids and adults when mixed into yogurt or ice cream!'

Under my supervision, I also let Ardea gnaw on a chunk of banana (that I hold) or such on an orange slice.

- 1 mango + 2 peeled peaches
- Blueberries + peaches (I boiled the blueberries and peaches in water that just barely covered them before pureeing the mixture, due to the tough skins)
- Avocado + banana (Ardea's favorite)
- Blueberries + Asian pear + apple (I peeled and chopped the pear and apple, then I boiled the mixture before pureeing it)
- Pineapples + lychees (fresh lychees, not canned)


Veggies + Grains
I thin out these purees with veggie or chicken stock.

- Green beans + veggie stock + potatoes + spinach + 1 piece of thinly sliced basil + 1/2 tspn. olive oil
- Cooked carrots + fresh orange juice + cumin + quinoa (I cook the quinoa in broth)
- Roasted broccoli + Laughing Cow cheese (I toss the broccoli in a little bit of olive oil and roast it in a 400 degree oven)













Proteins

- Soba noodles + salmon + green beans + veggie stock (this would also be good with avocado)
- Ground beef + potato + cauliflower (I cook the ingredients in a pot with just enough water to cover the ingredients)


No comments:

Post a Comment