Sunday, September 30, 2012

A new beginning, inspiration from Italy…



One of my first memories is of food. My mom used to make steak and fresh french fries, which was such a treat for us because we were so poor and this meal was so decadent. My love for food has only increased since then, and the joy I feel when I eat something delicious is topped only by the feeling I get when I cook something successfully. When I was a kid, my mom started me in the kitchen doing easy tasks like cutting jello for our tropical fruit cocktail, making sure every piece of lettuce was washed whenever we were going to roll something, making whatever nuoc mam mixture was appropriate for whatever we were eating. At some point, I started to learn how to cook the dishes my mom prepared regularly, and I progressed to experimenting with things which were never prepared in my house. Why did people hate brussel sprouts? I never had them, and I was so curious about why they got a bad rap. What did hamburger helper taste like? One of my proudest moments as a kid was my mom requesting that I prepare lasagna for my uncle who was visiting, because she said it was the best she ever tasted and wanted him to be able to taste it too. My love affair with food was born.

It has been 3 months and I still can’t stop thinking about all the beautiful and tasty food I had on my honeymoon in Italy. Both Tyler and I were rewarded every time we decided to order something adventurous on the menu. It has inspired me to do my best to make more dishes from scratch, and introduced me to modern Italian cuisine — chocolate pasta with a wild boar sauce, mussels + freshly made fetuccine + pickled peppers & garlic, so many things that tickled my taste buds. 

This blog.
I’ve been experimenting over the years with the idea of a food blog. I posted a ton of things on this site, then deleted all of it because I was embarrassed. I experimented with other internet platforms. But I am committed to keeping this up -- as I get older and evolve, so has my food personality and aesthetic, and here I hope to document my continuing journey with all things culinary. I will be posting links to recipes I've found and tried and had good success with, as well as my own recipes. My target? People like me who want to learn more techniques and ways to make things from scratch, but don't always have the time or skill to do that. People who want to make quick delicious meals, whether from scratch or using a few store bought ingredients to make a home-cooked meal. People who aren't stuck on one genre of food. People who see the beauty in food. My tumblr account, http://lapiglette.tumblr.com/, will be where I share snapshots of the food which I think is beautiful, shots of things I feel like I can taste through my screen.
I know there are a lot of people out there who roll their eyes at all us “amateurs” who gleefully snap a photo of our food before we take a bite, but food makes me indescribably happy, and how can you help but share a happy moment — be it with food or with people? Whenever I look at these photos from Italy, my mind and my senses are transported to two glorious weeks in my life. Maybe these photos will pique the senses of someone out there in the internet universe too….
jp













No comments:

Post a Comment